From Nikonians Wiki - FAQs, Photo Glossary, Good Photo Locations, Help
The Nikonians mobile gallery app, is an iPhone application that makes it easy to showcase your own image portfolio on your Apple iPhone or iPad.
The application is free of charge and can be used by all Nikonians members. All users, even non Nikonians, can browse and bookmark existing galleries.
Easy search, bookmarking and sharing of your own image portfolio
Getting going with the Nikonians mobile gallery app
1) Install the app from the iTunes app store and then start the app. After the splash screen, you will see the homescreen. It contains eight randomly selected thumbnails from images kept in the Nikonians image gallery Shake your iPhone and you will get eight new thumbnails showing. While on the homescreen, tilt the iPhone counter-clock wise so it is horizontal. You will now see a larger mosaic of thumbnails. Shake your iPhone to select a new set of random images.
2) Tap on any of the thumbnails to see a large format version of the image.
3) You can now navigate back and forward through the images by using the navigation arrows at the bottom or by swiping (dragging your finger). You can also start and stop a slideshow by clicking on the "play/pause" icon at the bottom of the screen as well
4) Try out zooming into (and out of) the image by double-tapping on it or by doing a pinch-gesture.
5) Click on the top right button with the user name of the photographer to see all images of this user. Click on the button "See all" to see a mosaic of this users complete collection of images
6) Go back with cancel and home buttons top left
7) Login from the home screen to Nikonians. If you are not a registered user yet at Nikonians, you can register here.
8) Try search for a user by entering the users' username in the search field. Enter at least three characters. After some time you will either see a result list, in which you can scroll, or a "no results" message.
9) Select an image of a user for viewing by tapping on username and then on one of the users images. Flip the iPhone horizontally to see the image in horizontal mode. Flip back. Swipe the images to move back/forward through the images of the user.
10) As a logged in user, the lower left corner menu item (looks like a little box with an arrow in it) contains items for storing the image in the camera roll (photo album) of the iPhone, for sending it via email to someone else and to book this user's gallery. As always, please respect international copyright laws! You must not use any image of any photographer for any purpose without asking the photographer for permission first!
11) Go back to the homescreen. As a logged in user, you can see a new item called "My gallery" which you can tap on to open your own gallery. This is then a shortcut to reach your own gallery, to be able to show your portfolio to others.
12) You may want to turn on the "high resolution" switch on the homescreen to force the images to be downloaded at a higher resolution - if available. By doing this, you will increase the bandwidth consumption which may lead to high(er) phone bills. You have been warned!
13) Under the "Bookmarks" menu you will find the user galleries you have previously bookmarked.
We hope this app will help you to get further inspired (and to share and to learn!) Enjoy!
The Nikonians Team
The Nikonians Team Must-See Featured Galleries
Some must-have galleries that you might want to bookmark :-)
Latest updated 25-OCT-2010
- marsel (National Geographic photographer with remarkable images)
- photophil (great wildlife, landscape and more)
- vfnewman (Cool racing images from Virginia International Raceway)
- Jim Pierce (Great wildlife)
- Texxter (Good portraits and more)
- Bass rock (Landscapes of Scottland and more)
- MotoMannequin (Great landscapes)
- TEITZY (Great macro work)
- esantos (Variety of inspiring photographs)
- Davidpeter1 (Variety of photographs)
- Valentino (A set of good photos incl a series of great sunsets over Manhattan)
Interested in your personal professional portfolio app?
We can provide you with your own portfolio app for iPhone. Branded with your own name, logo and information about how to order your work and your availability for assignments. The app would have your name so potential customers can easily find it in the Apple iTunes store.
The branded portfolio app shows a screen on startup that shows your own work and then only shows images you have selected to be shown. You can easily replace images to be shown without any changes needed to the application and you decide which resolution you want to be available to the viewing audience.
For more information about getting your own portfolio app to showcase and for marketing of your work, please contact us at myphotoapp at nikonians.org
For version 1.1:
As a registered member, you can login and connect to your own gallery. Download and save, plus emailing of images is also possible for registered, logged-in members.
Version 1.1 of the application is available in the iTunes applications store since August 19th 2010.
Version 1.0 of the application is available in the iTunes applications store since July 28th 2010.