Galleries - Introduction
From Nikonians Wiki - FAQs, Photo Glossary, Good Photo Locations, Help
What is the Nikonians Galleries?
The Nikonians Galleries is an on-line photo gallery for members of Nikonians.org, the most friendly photography resource on the World Wide Web.
Built for image sharing inside and outside of the community, it also serves the purpose of making easy to upload images into the forums for specific related discussions or critique and comments requests.
Who can use the galleries?
Anybody can view pictures in the galleries and we welcome all visitors. Only current members of Nikonians (Basic, Silver, Gold or Platinum status) may upload images or post in the galleries. Please note that Basic membership lapses after a time depending on activity. After that term you can upgrade to Silver, Gold or Platinum membership and continue to use the gallery.
For more information about Silver, Gold and Platinum membership, go here.
How to join the galleries
Nikonians Silver, Gold and Platinum members have automatic access to the galleries. You don't need to do anything else to join the gallery. Galleries access is part of the benefits of your paying membership, and expires if you don't renew it at the end of its term.
We will send you an email prior to the end of the paid period, giving you the chance to renew your financial membership.
What are the limits on gallery use?
Number of images
You can have any number of images in your gallery provided you don't exceed the total storage allocation. The allocation is:
- Basic member: 20MB
- Silver member: 500MB
- Gold member: 3GB
- Platinum member: Unlimited
Size of images
Images should not be more than 1800 pixels on the longest side when uploading to the galleries. The gallery software will resize your file if it exceeds this limit.
If your picture is more than 400 pixels wide, the gallery will automatically produce a reduced size copy to use as medium sized thumbnail. The copy will become the default image (seen automatically when a visitor views the picture) and it will have an embedded link to the full-size version as well.
The maximum file size is 10 MBytes
You can combine a number of picture files into a single ZIP file and upload that file at once if the Zip Upload is enabled by the admins (it usually is not enabled). The ZIP file must be 8 Mbytes or less in size in such a case.
The galleries home page
The galleries home page holds a wealth of information and options for you.
The home page shows links to the members galleries, the various contests (past and present), a random selection of members' pictures, and the most recent photo uploads. It also shows site statistics - how many members, how many pictures and so forth.
The calendar lets you view all the pictures uploaded on a particular date.
The search function lets you call up pictures which match the keyword you enter. It searches picture titles, keywords and locations. So if you enter "Australia" the search will show you all pictures with "Australia" in the title, keywords or location. We encourage all members to make extensive use of keywords. They are very useful when looking for images made with a particular lens, for example; so make sure you enter the image details when uploading or via the Edit function.
The | 1 day | 7 days | 14 days | all | selection will show all pictures uploaded in the specified time frame.
If you are currently logged in to Nikonians (either through the forums or from the home page) then you're also logged in to the galleries.
If you're not already logged in, you can do so by selecting Login at the top right corner of the galleries home page, then enter your Nikonians member username and password.
Near the top of each screen within the galleries are a series of options. This section briefly describes each of the options.
- My Photos takes you to the index of all your own pictures.
- My Albums lets you create and manage albums within your own gallery space. Details here
- My Favorites shows you a list of pictures you have tagged as your own favourites. Details here
- Home takes you to the Nikonians home page
- Galleries Home takes you back to the Galleries home page
- Contest takes you to a page of information concerning the Nikonians photo competitions.
- Help links to this Galleries Guide.
- Search allows you to search for particular pictures by keyword, photographer or in particular galleries. More details [here].
- Profile takes you to a page where you can view or edit your own Nikonians profile, view all the pictures you've uploaded, see what comments you've left for other members, and see some statistics relating to your galley participation.
- Upload Photos allows you to upload pictures to your gallery. Details here
- Login / Logout allows you to log in or out of the system.
By clicking on this link, you are automatically shown the profile as it is stored in the Nikonians.org community. You can only edit your profile from the community My Profile.
If you need more help
Should you need additional help with your gallery, please make sure that you have read our FAQ’s first
If that still didn’t solve your question, post your question in the About Nikonians and Image Galleries forum at Nikonians.org
- This page was last modified on 24 April 2016, at 07:55.
- This page has been accessed 114,587 times.